– Vernaz G, Malinsky M, Svardal H, Du M, Tyers AM, Santos ME, Durbin R, Genner MJ, Turner GF, Miska EA (2020) The methylomes of Lake Malawi cichlids reveal epigenetic variation associated with phenotypic diversification. Biorxiv, doi.org/10.1101/2020.11.24.383034
– Svardal H, Rusuwa B, Linderoth T, Kiran A, Charmantier A, Lattorff HMG, Cagan A, Ommeh SC, Kamng’ona A, Katongo C, Santos ME, Durbin R, Kumwenda B, Visscher PM, von der Heyden S, Participants of SMBE Malawi (2020) Evolutionary genomics at the human–environment interface in Africa. Molecular Biology and Evolution 37: 3076–3080
– Vargas-Lowman A, Armisen D, Floriano CFB, Silva Cordeiro IR, Viala S, Bouchet M, Bernard M, Le Bouquin A, Santos ME, Berlioz-Barbier A, SalvadorA, Moreira FFF, Bonneton F, Khila A (2019) Cooption of the pteridine biosynthesis pathway underlies the diversification of embryonic colors in water striders. PNAS 116:19046-19054.
– Souza da Motta F, Moreira FFF, Crumière AJJ, Santos ME, Khila A (2018) A new species of Rhagovelia Mayr, 1865 (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Veliidae) from French Guiana, with new records of Gerromorpha from the the country. Zootaxa 4433:520-530
– Santos ME, Le Bouquin A, Crumière AJJ, Khila A (2017) Taxon-restricted genes at the origin of morphological novelty and ecological opportunity in water striders. Science 358:386-390
– Santos ME (2017) One gene, multiple alleles: insights into the microevolution of pigmentation patterns. Molecular Ecology 26:2605-2607
– Crumière AJJ, Santos ME, Sémon M, Armisén D, Moreira FFF, and Khila A (2016) Diversity in morphology and locomotory behavior is associated with niche expansion in the semi-aquatic bugs. Current Biology 26:3336-3342
– Santos ME, Baldo L, Gu X, Boileau N, Musilova Z, Salzburger W (2016) Comparative transcriptomics of anal fin pigmentation patterns in cichlid fishes. BMC Genomics 17: 712.
– Santos ME, Berger C, Refki P, Khila A (2015) Integrating evo-devo with ecology for a better understanding of phenotypic evolution. Briefings in Functional Genomics, doi: 10.1093/bfgp/elv003
– Santos ME, Braasch I, Boileau N, Meyer B, Boehne A, Affolter M, Salzburger W (2014) The evolution of cichlid egg-spots are linked with a cis-regulatory change. Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms6149
– Colombo M, Diepeveen ET, Muschick M, Santos ME, Indermaur A, Boileau N, Barluenga M, Salzburger W (2013) The ecological and genetic basis of convergent thick-lipped phenotypes in cichlid fishes. Molecular Ecology, 22:670-684.
– Santos ME, Salzburger W (2012) How cichlids diversify. Science, 338:619-621.
– Baldo L, Santos ME, Salzburger W (2011) Comparative transcriptomics of Eastern African cichlid fishes shows signs of positive selection and a large contribution of untranslated regions to genetic diversity. Genome Biology and Evolution, 3:443-55.
– Santos ME, Athanasiadis A, Leitão AB, Dupasquier L, Sucena E (2011) Alternative splicing and gene duplication in the evolution of the FoxP gene sub-family. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 28:237-47.
– Lopes PC, Sucena E, Santos ME, Magalhães S (2008) Rapid experimental evolution of pesticide resistance in C. elegans entails no costs and affects the mating system. PLoS ONE, 3(11): e3741.
– Armisen D, Rjakuma R, Friedrich M [ and 51 other, including Santos ME] (2018) The genome of the water strider Gerris buenoi reveals expansions of gene repertoires associated with adaptations to live on the water. bioRxiv, doi:10.1101/242230
– Panfilio KA, Vargas Jentzsch IM, Benoit JB [ and 78 other, including Santos ME] (2017) Molecular evolutionary trends and feeding ecology diversification in the Hemiptera, anchored by the milkweed bug genome. bioRxiv, doi:10.1101/201731
– Adelman Z, Reinhardt K, Dolan A, [ and 77 other, including Santos ME] (2016) Unique features of a global human ectoparasite identified through sequencing of the bed bug genome. Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms10165.
– Brawand D, Wagner CE, Li YI, [ and 72 other, including Santos ME] (2014) The genomic substract for adaptive radiation in African cichlid fish. Nature, doi:10.1038/nature13726